Last updated on April 19th, 2021
Positive affirmations for depression and anxiety can help a person to change their mental states.
However, that doesn’t mean they will definitely cure you. This isn’t about a quick fix.
Affirmations should be used as part of a range of activities and treatments.
Having said that, affirmations can do wonders. Tailoring your affirmations so that they are personal to you is a really sensible move.
Below, you can see affirmations that relate to symptoms. That way, you can pick a set of affirmations that match your experience!
Afterall, everyone is different.
Jump to a topic…
- What is Depression?
- Positive Affirmations for Depression
- Affirmations for Insomnia
- Affirmations for Low Self-Esteem
- Affirmations for Feeling Guilty
- Affirmations for Indecision
- Affirmations for Worrying
- General Affirmations for Depression
- What is Anxiety?
- Affirmations for Irritability
- Affirmations for Restlessness
- Affirmations for feeling ‘on edge’
- General Affirmations for Anxiety
- You Are Not Alone!
What is Depression?
Many of you will have experienced depression on some level. Depression is a kind of mood disorder.
However, just because you have one or more of the symptoms, it does not have to mean you are ‘clinically’ depressed.
It might be that something is going on with your life. Maybe you have lost a job? Or are you going through a breakup?
So yeah, maybe there is no reason at all. Whatever the cause, positive affirmations for depression can be unbelievably effective. Let’s go through some, symptom by symptom.
Positive Affirmations for Depression
Pssst.. If you’re not familiar with positive affirmations, learn how to use them here (link will open in a new window).
We recommend to use max 5-10 affirmations and practise them daily for around 30 days. When you’re telling them, your brain and limiting beliefs will try to fight them.
However, with repetition you will build new patterns in brain and you’ll reprogram your subconscious mind.
Also, if you’re doubting the power of affirmations, learn more about subconscious mind here.
Let’s dive right into it!
Affirmations for Insomnia
Insomnia is the inability to sleep. Also, insomnia can manifest in disturbed sleep. Do you suffer from this aspect of depression? Then the following affirmations will help.
- I don’t need to seek sleep; sleep will find me.
- Falling asleep is inevitable, it is coming, it is staying.
- My sleep belongs to me, I own it and I am in charge of it.
- The stress that has kept me awake is transient and it has no power over me.
- Tomorrow I will awake refreshed.
- I deserve to be reenergized and I will fall asleep.
- I will have good dreams that connect me to the universe.
- My sleep tonight will wash over me and heal the deepest parts of me. I will awake in charge of my reality.
- There is nothing easier than falling. Tonight, I will ‘fall’ to sleep. I will land in the morning. The morning will be soft and bright.
- Sleep loves me like an old friend.
Affirmations for Low Self-Esteem
Low self esteem is a feeling of not being worthwhile. Our subconscious might insult or degrade us if we have low self esteem.
- Happiness belongs to me. I own it and deserve it.
- I can feel my worth in every cell of my body and in every corner of my mind.
- The time I need for myself is abundant and I will take it.
- New things will find me and I will take to them.
- There is no person in my day who is more important than me.
- You are the center of your universe and that is the best possible thing.
- I am grateful for the past, even the painful bits, which are not my fault.
- I have more strength that I can feel at one time. Sometimes, I don’t feel strong, but I am.
- I am beautiful, kind, strong and worthwhile.
- I am a good reason for today to exist.
Affirmations for Guilt
A disconnected sense of guilt is typical of depression. The below positive affirmation for depression are tailored to feelings of guilt.
- My past does not define me, my present is free.
- Doom is a lie that keeps me weak, today I will be strong.
- The things that have hurt me have no power over me.
- I am a good person who deserves to be happy.
- Leaving the past is not difficult, it happens with out any effort, I do not have to turn back.
- Today is a sunrise, the rays bleach out the past.
- I am not God, I do not need to be.
- Perfection is overrated, I am excellent, and that is good enough.
- I am willing to make amends for genuine indiscretions but not for false ones.
- I am not deserving of guilt and today I will be free.
Affirmations for Indecision
Indecision can be a negative force in a depressed person’s life. Choice which seem simple can overwhelm. But the following affirmations can really turn this on it’s head.
- Simple answers will present themselves
- The unknown is exciting
- Life is not complicated, life is straightforward.
- Becoming my best self is happening, I just need to let it.
- My choices come from the deepest part of me, they are instincts, they are correct.
- I love my choices.
- I am grateful for the chance to participate in life.
- Making decisions for myself is fun.
- I am the right person to be in charge of my path.
- The universe is not out to get me, I am part of the universe.
Affirmations for Worrying
Worry is a huge problem when depressed. Like guilt, it is often out of proportion. Or not connected to a real problem.
- Many of my concerns are not founded in reality, let go.
- I can’t worry a problem away.
- The solutions to my problems are around the corner.
- Tomorrow, I won’t remember today’s problems.
- I will only spend energy on problems that matter.
- I deserve to be free from worry.
- I will not be tormented by thoughts that have no power over me.
- Worry itself means nothing.
- Worry is leaving me, draining away with every passing second.
- I will be free from concern, like a dear in a meadow.
General Affirmations for Depression
Of course, it may be that you have all the above symptoms or more. So, it makes good sense to take up some more general positive affirmations for depression too.
- Sadness does not define me and is leaving me.
- Feelings are transient and the good times are coming.
- I deserve to be happy and free.
- There are colors beyond the grey and I am beginning to see them.
- I am not how I feel.
- I will feel like the person I remember who was content.
- My journey is winding, I am in a dark place, but the sun is rising.
- With each moment that passes, my head and soul are becoming lighter.
- I am a beautiful, selfless person.
- Nothing can take away from how worthy I am of joy.
What is Anxiety?
One way that your body and mind respond to stress is with anxiety. Apprehension is a kind of anxiety. The fear of what’s to come. In other cases, anxiety may seem to come from nowhere. However, it may well be linked to something you are not consciously aware of.
A person with a anxiety disorder is a more extreme version of this. If symptoms persist for months or seriously interfere with your life, then you may have an anxiety disorder.
In either case, positive affirmations for anxiety can really help.
There is a lot of crossover between depression and anxiety. Below, you can look at some positive affirmations that are linked to symptoms. These symptoms are more traditionally associated with anxiety than depression.
Affirmations for Irritability
Irritability may give feelings of righteousness. However, this emotion can be a negative and draining energy in your life. Furthermore, it is a common bi-product of a deeper anxiety
- People are not out to get me.
- Anger is burns me as well its target, today I will not be angry.
- I have everything I need to be kind.
- My experiences will not irritate me.
- Calmness is at my core and will pervade all my interactions.
- My irritation will be replaced with level headed interest.
- I can be empathetic towards those that get at me.
- Today, I will be in the moment and I will be content.
- I will not be overwhelmed.
- I will react to the world with kindness, I am kind and selfless.
Affirmations for Restlessness
Ever get the feeling that you can’t stay still? That there is something that needs to be done that you can’t remember? Then you have experienced restlessness. Affirmations like the below can truly treat this symptom.
- I will be still.
- Contentment is radiating throughout me and spilling out into the world.
- I do not need to seek calm, calmness is with me, today I will let calmness become me.
- Serenity is in every fiber of my being.
- I feel alleviated from the jagged thoughts and feelings that once drove me.
- Not only will I be calm, but the quiet in me will affect those around me for the better.
- I am not agitated; I’m in command of my thoughts and movements.
- I can cope with everything that is coming.
- Today is a lake I am floating in.
- I will let the tide take me to my destination and my destination is the right one.
Affirmations for Feeling ‘On Edge’
This might sound vague. Of course, there is some cross over with feeling worry. However, feeling ‘on edge’ is almost always felt for no obvious reason. This shows that the feeling is deep rooted and means that affirmations are a perfect tool.
- Clarity of purpose is drawn to me.
- There is no doom round the corner that I will not overcome.
- I know the difference between a feeling I need to act on and a lie, the lies will fade away.
- Nothing is trying to hurt me.
- All my plans for improvement will come to fruition.
- I am on the correct path and the good times are hurtling towards me.
- I am selfless and the path is clear to me.
- My spirit is about to be at peace.
- Quiet and serenity are my map and my path.
- My life is simple and I am the master of it.
General Affirmations for Anxiety
As with depression, general positive affirmations for anxiety are a no-brainer.
- Problems will fade and I will still be here.
- I am an essential and positive part of the universe.
- All my endeavors will be blessed with luck and love.
- I am perfectly equipped to rock today.
- I am still, in command and loved.
- Control is happening for me, without a need to struggle.
- Whatever has happened to me I am still a worthy, amazing person with a lot to give.
- When I step away from this moment, I will feel a supreme sense of purpose that will stay with me.
- Contentment is my natural state, today I will be natural.
- I have a superpower and that superpower is to reset and start again.
Remember, you are not alone!
Across the world, roughly 264 million people are suffering with depression.
Anxiety disorders affect 275 million people globally.
It is estimated that around half of those with one condition, have the other.
Therefore, conservatively, around 400 million people have a clinical anxiety or depressive illness. That’s 1 in every 20 people!
Having said that, just because you have some of the symptoms discussed doesn’t mean you need to carry a label.
Whatever the case, positive affirmations for depression and anxiety can be pivotal.
In addition to picking out your affirmation from above, remember to read around the subject and look at other treatments.